This is a blog about Kevin and Robyn building a house. Our daughter Claire is the star of this blog.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Exterior progress

It has been a very long time since posting anything here so I'm taking the liberty of including a lot of pictures. It's all about the exterior these days. First we'll talk about the trees for the backyard.

Pictured above is our neighbour, Ken, and his Kabota. It is a very cool machine and Ken is a very cool neighbour. Behind his back we call him Kabota Ken. He delivered dirt today and helped us plant the trees and spread the dirt around. Also pictured is Homeowner Kevin and Sweet Claire.




This is Claire taking a swing at our Manchurian Ash. Below is a photo from the Internet of a mature and pretty one.





Above is Sweet Child raking dirt towards Thunderchild which my Internet research tells me is a crab apple tree. I don't believe it though because that wasn't in the deal when we talked about Thunderchildren at the nursery.

The second Thunderchild being planted above and the first getting more attention from Sweet Child and Enthusiastic Grandpa below.


The above photo shows both of the Thunderchildren (I just can't bring myself to say Thunderchilds even though that might be a more correct pluralization.) You might have to click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see where both of the trees are. I'm including this picture to give y'all an idea of the scale and the plan for the yard. Cedar-type trees are being planned to go against the bright white fence our dear neighbours to the East have planned. And a fence along the back lane and a deck to the right of the sunroom. Also, grass. Not the kind you smoke. Stay tuned...

This is a mature Thunderchild. This is the one the Internet told me does crab apples. Kevin says our blossoms will be white. The Internet says that they start pink and turn white with age and the fruit is small. Anyway, generally speaking Kevin and the Internet are both very trustworthy sources of information so I'm not sure what to think, but I guess time will tell. (That was my joking voice because I don't generally put tons of stock on info from the 'Net and, in fact, respect my husband a whole lot more than the Internet. Maybe I should go to www.truthorfiction.com and find out what the truth is about the mysterious Thunderchild.)

Sweet Child planting a tree. I love both of these photos and couldn't decide which was better so you're getting them both.

Above: Please note that we have siding!!!! Kevin and his dad worked on the siding last week. The triangle peak is going to get shakes that have to be painted first. The peak on the garage will be the same. Even though it feels like it's practically done I am told that there is still lots to do: wall with front door and window, garage wall, trim, peaks. But it looks so great...so much better than house wrap. Also, there's a small pile of dirt in the front that Kabota Ken spread around after this photo was taken.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

It's about time for a yearly post... How's the house going?
...
Uh, that's all I got.
-Steve

August 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

The house is totally amazing ... in our heads. We have visions of decks, finished sunrooms, fences. We started the fence last year, have thought about the deck, and have cleaned out the sunroom and started eating in there often, but it is not at all in a finished state. Thanks for caring. We'll put you down for deck-building-foreman.

August 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

Hmmm, I helped build a fence and a deck once. My skills are totally amazing... in my head.

August 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home