This is a blog about Kevin and Robyn building a house. Our daughter Claire is the star of this blog.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Kevin's Rocks

This blog post is a tribute to our two-year-old nephew, Luke. You see, for some time, there have been cultured stone bricks pushed into the corner of our living room reserved for a large screen TV. Luke commented on these bricks every time he was over. Usually, he just said, "Kevin's rocks." He knew he wasn't supposed to touch them because everyone knows that those "rocks" have been carefully arranged for optimal appeal and dusting ease. The last time he asked me about them I explained that they will go on the fireplace. He wanted to know why they weren't there yet. The following is my most favourite conversation I've ever had with the chap:

Luke: Why Kevin's rocks here?
Me: Because Uncle Kevin doesn't have a compound mitre saw to cut them with.
Luke: Why?
Me (thinking I've out-smarted the perpetual why-asking toddler): Why don't you have a compound mitre saw?
Luke (confidently): I have that.
Me: Can Uncle Kevin borrow it?
Luke: Yeah.

It turns out that Luke doesn't actually have a compound mitre saw but his dad does have a Sawzall which I'm sure Luke believes can saw all. It also turns out that Kevin was able to just use his own table saw. Don't tell Luke. The point is, Kevin's Rocks are now all around our fireplace!


Claire helping put the mortar on a brick.

This is the space where Kevin's Rocks once lived. It is large enough for a large screen TV and then some. Our 20" just barely fit there. I was happy that I managed to squeeze in our diminutive Christmas tree, Nativity scene, and a few presents. I feel a word of explanation is in order. Due to the previous location of Kevin's Rocks, our living room has been a little squished, and there was not a lot of room for our real artificial tree. So this year, we are celebrating with a real small tree instead. There also appears to be very few Christmas presents in the general location of the real small tree. There are more to come, just waiting to be wrapped, really. Claire will be spoiled, we promise.



A real fire in a real gas fireplace with real fake bricks all around. We feel so festive. And just to prove it, you can see the reflection of the piano in the fireplace with Claire's piano book opened to Away in a Manger which she plays beautifully.

3 Comments:

Blogger Corinna said...

lovely post! so glad to hear about the rocks, we'll have to come over and see what following conversations ensue.

December 22, 2007 at 9:17 AM

 
Blogger L said...

Hey - two posts in the last week - good work! The laminate and the stone fireplace are beautiful. I was concerned about the tiny tree and tiny presents and was about to call the Cheer board but then I read your promise to spoil Claire, so I put the phone down. Hope you have a wonderful first Christmas in your new home!

December 22, 2007 at 8:57 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

Yes, Claire was/is/will be spoiled. She even got ornery and sassy with us yesterday. We did our presents yesterday morning so she could have a day at home to play with them. She keeps counting the days until Christmas, but the truth is she is having four days of Christmas celebrations that end on Christmas Day. She had bad dreams again last night so, because I just wanted everyone to sleep, I broke a very firm policy we have in our house and spent the last six hours in her bed and have a sore back to prove it. She's not allowed any more bad dreams and also not allowed to think that it was fun for an adult and a child to spend the night in a single bed and that the experience should be repeated.

December 23, 2007 at 6:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home